[linux-audio-user] Quattro USB

Reuben Martin MartinR at jbu.edu
Tue Apr 20 23:56:55 EDT 2004

> Not having purchased the Quattro yet, can you or anyone else
> reccomend the
> Quattro, or is there a better USB multi-input unit out there
> that I should
> look at?

I would recommend against USB audio devices. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would swear they've had nothing but positive experience with USB devices, but just the same they are a nightmare. The USB audio specs are are defined in a manner that create a real mess for people who write the drivers for them.

>From the jack dev list:
"USB spec defines the isochronous data packets for the fixed
time length (1ms).  and, obviously, 44100Hz cannot be split by 1ms in
integer."

Also, read this:
http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/jackit-devel/2003-Sep/0167.html

I would strongly recommend using a PCI device if at all possible.

-Reuben