[linux-audio-user] Quattro USB

Josh Steiner josh at vitriolix.com
Wed Apr 21 19:16:21 EDT 2004

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>Hallo,
>Josh Steiner hat gesagt: // Josh Steiner wrote:
>

>>i understand the frustration behind the vendetta, as i too had tons of
>>trouble getting the quattro to work on 2.4.x and was pretty irked when
>>it looked like 2.6.x wasnt going to support it period, but i just dont
>>see the need to call it a "total piece of junk" everytime the quattro
>>comes up on a list, especially now that that it seems that the troubles
>>with the quattro are historical.  and yeah, i have much respect for
>>frank, i'm not trolling him, i just dont want people to get a mistaken
>>impression of the quattro as i'm quite happy with it.
>>

>Does the Quattro really work now?

a post to linux-usb-dev entitled "[linux-usb-devel] success with maudio
quattro"  seems to suggest it.   (i cutnpasted the text below... for
some reason the list archives stops on 04.04 and the post was 04.14)

>I would be happy to hear that and
>I'd stop any vendetting immediatly.

;)

>And does 2.6.5 include the
>necessary fixes already?

i dont know actually.

>But as Matthew put it: It stole months of my life, in fact, it stole a
>whole year, after which I bought a new USB device, which worked like a
>charm the first minute I plugged it in. That's why I call(ed) it a
>"total piece of junk", as it was exactly this to me the last year.

yeah, it caused me a big old headache myself, but i really like the
cards features so i'm holding onto my hope about it.  someday very soon
i'll experiment with the patches.  here is the message:

---

I've applied the following two patches based on Alan's recommendation:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-usb-devel&m=108178375704810&q=raw

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-usb-devel&m=108178386018353&q=raw

They apply cleanly to the -mm patched 2.6.5 kernel (that's 2.6.5-mm4 for
reference).  The MAudio Quattro usb soundcard works just fine (although
admittedly i don't do anything fancy with it like recording audio). Upon
plugging it in I get the expected set of error messages:

config 1 interface 1 has no altsetting 1
config 1 interface 2 has no altsetting 1
config 1 interface 4 has no altsetting 2
config 1 interface 5 has no altsetting 2
config 1 interface 7 has no altsetting 2
config 1 interface 8 has no altsetting 2

Other than that, I haven't done any real functionality testing (it plays
music, that's good enough for now :)   If you guys need me to try
anything else, let me know.

Thanks,
Tony