[linux-audio-user] Newbie questions for live gigging

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Apr 23 12:56:46 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 12:35:52PM +0200, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> I think a list of distros that aim for multimedia would looks something like
> this:
> - Mandrake (especially with Thac's rpms, rpm.nyvalls.se, very fresh)
> - Suse (a lot of stuff is included in the main distro, including lowlatency
> patched kernels)
> - Redhat/Fedora + CCRMA (Looks good and diverse, CCRMA is where all the good
> stuff is)
> - Agnula (should be a big name, multimedia is what confirms their existence, I
> know too little though)
> - Dynebolic ( live-cd based, don't know much about it)

I'd add gentoo to that list. Most of what I want can be installed
simply by doing emerge name-of-app.

Occasionally when I want to live on the bleeding edge and install
a more recent version than they have available, of e.g. jack or alsa,
I use emerge's "inject" feature to tell the package system that
I've installed it myself so don't mess with it :-)
This way I can still emerge apps that depend on jack even though
I've installed it myself from source.

Sure does take a long time to install, though :-)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com