[linux-audio-user] Newbie questions for live gigging

LinuxMedia linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Sat Apr 24 15:42:45 EDT 2004

> I think a list of distros that aim for multimedia would looks something like
> this:
> - Mandrake (especially with Thac's rpms, rpm.nyvalls.se, very fresh)
> - Suse (a lot of stuff is included in the main distro, including lowlatency
> patched kernels)

I probly sound like some kind of "spokesman" for Suse, but I'm just a
user. I just wanted to say that Suse also allows for easy installing and
setting up of audio *and* non-audio stuff so you can get up and running
fairly quickly and painlessly. In other words, you don't have to be a
linux guru to install and use a suse distrob. Although, somewere along
the line, one needs to know a fair amount about linux and linux/audio to
really be affective.

BTW... Suse is the only distrob I've used. So the above statement is not
  a comparison to other distrobs.

Also, be aware that even though Suse comes with a lot of audio software,
they are usually outdated. But Suse also has most of what you need to be
able to download newer versions of (most) software and build/install
them sucessfully.