[linux-audio-user] Ardour Crash + can't boot

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Sun Apr 25 11:49:43 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 03:37, Aaron Trumm wrote:
> I'm still kind of curious as to the CAUSE of this problem.  I didn't expect
> that an ardour crash could corrupt the file system or maybe even the
> physical disk, and that's what started the mess - unless that was a
> coincidence... hmmm...

Most likely it is a coincidence. It seems quite unlikely to me that
Ardour could cause Linux to destroy a hard drive.

On the other hand hard drives do fail. Logically, they are likely to be
running a program when they do fail. It's therefore easy to think it's
the program hurting the drive when in fact it was just the drive
failing.

I don't know much about running the 'SMART' tools, but I think it's time
for me to start learning.

And again, I think that having a good LiveCD for looking at these things
helps a lot.

- Mark