[linux-audio-user] permissions of /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/oss

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon Apr 26 04:23:11 EDT 2004

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > Atte André Jensen wrote:
> > >in /etc/modutils/alsa, but alsa won't come up, saying: "Unknown symbol
> > >device_mode".
> >
> > This is only for device nodes in /dev/, if devfs is enabled.
>
> But why does alsa complain about "Unknown symbol device_mode" then?
> # CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is not set

Because devfs isn't enabled.

> If I get alsa to recognize the device_mode=0660 (for instance by
> changing my potentially wrong kernel .config),

Your kernel configuration isn't wrong.  If you don't know what devfs
is, don't enable it.

> where would the oss-emulation of my card that is now at
> /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/oss show up in /dev?

It wouldn't.  The files in /proc/asound are just for debugging and/or
tuning.

The files in /dev are used to actually access the sound devices (OSS
emulation devices like /dev/dsp, and ALSA devices in /dev/snd/).  If
devfs is not enabled, you can change the permissions of the files in
/dev with chmod.

HTH
Clemens