[linux-audio-user] sndfile-info and lots

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 12:51:32 EDT 2004

Hi,

--- philicorda <philicorda at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Hope it all turned out right in the end!

I'm pretty confidant. As you may recall the order was
to achieve greater volume across a 13 song album. I
definitely accomplished that.

I installed Bitscope. Its numerical report for decibal
level of "Largest sample" combined with metering in
all the stages helped push the levels towards 0db.
I've always been nervous about hot levels but I think
we've got enough usable tools to confidantly do this
type of work.

After completing the first version, I referenced
against some "million dollar" masters and discovered
that my results are louder.

This was a useful discovery because it allowed me to
back the limiting off of several songs and minimize
the "munge" affect.

My overall review of mastering with Linux tools is
that we have what's needed to do acceptable work. All
of the tools have the expected bugs. No big deal. The
real upside to usability is that jack enables us to
configure routing scenarios that are perfect for this
type of work.

I used an Ardour session with 26 stereo tracks as the
source for JAMin. Thirteen of those tracks were for
existing masters and the other thirteen for the
unmastered control room mixes. At the hardware mixer,
I was able to use the mute button to switch between
the two sources and have the perfect A to B
comparisons.

When Ardour stabilizes and all its features become
usable, it and JAMin create an ideal setup. One of the
guys, Uwe, has written a LADSP module to automate the
scene changes in JAMin--I think it can be seen in
Rezound. Anyway, as things flush out I'm sure we'll
produce some documents describing how to setup an
ideal mastering environment.

Another studio owner friend stopped by and saw what I
was doing. He was impressed and said he's gonna buy an
x86 box and check out the linux stuff.

I've still got plenty to learn but with all the help
from everyone on this list I've been able to produce
an accepted product. Thanks much!

ron

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~njl98r/code/ladspa/bitscope/

http://www.studio-systems.com/audiofeatures/SepOct2002/Audio%20Article/0DBFS+%20LEVELS%20IN%20DIGITAL%20MASTERING/78.htm