[linux-audio-user] Journaling filesystems [was: Ardour Crash + can't boot]

Maarten de Boer mdeboer at iua.upf.es
Mon Apr 26 13:40:51 EDT 2004

> If you're going to rebuild use ext3 instead of ext2 for the root
> partition.  It's journalled.  Use Reiserfs for the data partition.  The

What is the reason for using two different filesystems here? Is reiserfs
more suitable for (audio) data?

Personally, I am using xfs (also journalled) for all workstations I
install, after having used it successfully on a heavy duty fileserver
for more than 2 years. It never gave me any problems, and I have done
some nasty tests.

Now, I have never run Ardour - on top of my TODO list for a looong time
:-), so I can't say how Ardour and xfs play together, but I'd be surprised
if there are any problems. Anyway, I would be very much interested to hear
if others are using xfs, and how it behaves under heavy multitrack audio
IO.

Ah, and xfs has a special "realtime" mode. From the kernel configuration:

  If you say Y here you will be able to mount and use XFS filesystems
  which contain a realtime subvolume. The realtime subvolume is a
  separate area of disk space where only file data is stored. The
  realtime subvolume is designed to provide very deterministic
  data rates suitable for media streaming applications.

which sounds very interesting. BUT!:

  This feature is unsupported at this time, is not yet fully
  functional, and may cause serious problems.

Serious problems... Hmm, looking at Aaron's mail, he already got
enough serious problems even without experimental xfs features...

xfs is in kernel 2.6.x, and has been included in 2.4.25 as well.
(before that, sgi provides patches)

maarten