[linux-audio-user] Xvnc remote to audio box...

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Mon Apr 26 13:45:32 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 16:07, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Russell Hanaghan hat gesagt: // Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>
> > I want to use this box live without mouse, monitor or keyboard. I'm
> > running MDK 10.0, 2.6.5 Kernel. I want to boot it anf log into it with
> > VNC or similar from my Win XP laptop probably using 100MB lan cards on
> > both.
> >
> > I have VNC setup to fire up on boot. I can get a login on screen " :1 "
> > but when I try to run Jack, it seems not to see the alsa drivers
> > correctly. Is it because other X server desktops don't have the machine
> > privileges that the default 0 screen has? I have everything working fine
> > on a regular login on the local box...
>
> This shouldn't happen: Jack doesn't use any X features, let alone
> anyone, not available on VNC. I successfully started Jack even over an
> SSH shell connection. Could you give a more verbose Jack error
> message? (That is: any at all ;)

Figured out that I had some "other" problems with alsa, jack, etc. I can
get this to produce sound now.

But in the same conversation...I have vnc starting on boot as Display
:1. I notice following that leaves it a tad short of what I think I
need...

1/	If I don't let display :0 log in, it seems alsa is not initialized,
or at the least is not available to display :1

2/ Can log as root (su root) in a shell but cant seem to run anything
from it. Qjackctl claims "segmentation fault" Konqueror and kwrite claim
some kind of crash. I know there are security issues that are in place
for the likes of this. What can be done to eliminate them if anything?

thanks