LiveCDs as Rescue Disks (WAS: [linux-audio-user] Ardour Crash+ can't boot)

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Mon Apr 26 15:10:10 EDT 2004

Matthew Allen wrote:

> [...]

Good luck. If your experience is like mine you'll get a lot of people
looking over your shoulder to find out about Linux.

I ended up with Compaq R3070 at a good price. In my case pretty much
everything worked well in the store except hdparm -tT speeds. I could
see that in my case the Compaq was using a new ATI chipset so I came
home, did some snooping and found that DMA support was added somewhere
around 2.6.5, so installing that level of kernel when I built the
machine solved that problem. However, then under 2.6.6 I had some Alsa
problems (<hehe> so what's new about that?!?) which Takashi has recently
solved.

The machine now works quite nicely in both Gentoo and Win XP Pro running
Pro Tools on the road.

- Mark