[linux-audio-user] Xvnc remote to audio box...

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Tue Apr 27 12:55:28 EDT 2004

Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>>But in the same conversation...I have vnc starting on boot as Display
>>:1. I notice following that leaves it a tad short of what I think I
>>need...
>>
>>1/	If I don't let display :0 log in, it seems alsa is not initialized,
>>or at the least is not available to display :1
>>

> Anyone??

Anyone would be smarter at this than I, so take this with a grain of
salt. Also, I don't have a Mandrake or Redhat machine available to check
any of this, but you should be able to piece it together I think.

To me this sounds like a run level problem. If you are booting to run
level 3 then it may be that Alsa is set to initialize at run level 5
which is normally not entered when you boot only to a text level like 3.

Look at /etc/inittab (I think)

Look at /sbin/chkconfig --list and see what it tells you about the run
level you are in and the run level that starts Alsa. If Alsa is not
starting then change it to something more appropriate.

Good luck,
Mark