[linux-audio-user] IBM Thinkpad r50 with RME Hammerfall Cardbus

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Apr 28 07:08:45 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:59:22 +1000
Dan Harper <tech at danharper.org> wrote:

> Ahhh, stress! OK, I've researched so much my head hurts.
> I want to buy a notebook for a DAW using Linux, so far I've come to:
>
> IBM ThinkPad R50 (1.6 Centrino, 1Gb RAM)

I've had the opportunity to use an R50 for the last couple of weeks,
and I've used a 600X for a few years now.  I don't use them for music,
but do run RedHat9 on them both and I have a few observations:

 o I have yet to make the built-in wireless work on the R50.  I have to
   plug one of my Lucent Orinoco cards in to go wireless.
 o I have not been able yet to configure the middle mouse button on the
   keyboard to act as a middle mouse button - this worked out of the box
   on the 600X.  This sounds like a small hting but it's driving me
   nuts.
 o I don't think I have X configured right for the LCD screen.  Performance
   is sluggish, and I occasionally have artifacts on the screen from
   closing or moving windows.
 o The big screen is definitely nice :)
 o I have had problems waking it up from sleep mode once or twice.  The
   screen is blank, and I can't ctl-alt-F2 to a console window, nor can I
   Fn-F7 to toggle between an external monitor and the LCD screen, though
   sometimes that's just what's required to get going again.

Other than those quibbles, though, I really like this machine and wish
I were able to keep it!  It should be a really powerful platform for
recording with the rught audio card.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com