[linux-audio-user] Audacity/Windows/Plugins

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Thu Apr 29 18:19:51 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 14:50, Mark Knecht wrote:
> jdd wrote:
> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>    Sorry, but a very non-linux question.
> >>
> >>    I wonder if anyone here can say anyting about how the Windows
> >> version of Audacity works? Is it stable? Does the VST enabler work? Is
> >> it stable? Does it only provide for audio suite/non-realtime operation
> >> on Audacity Audio, or does it allow Audacity to become a VSti platform
> >> of any type?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Mark
> >>

> > I'm not sure of what you mean about "VST station", but I do multitrack
> > (sequencial) recording with audacity windows (my game theater card is
> > not so well recognised by linux, alas)
> >
> > when recording the second track, there is a small (1/100s?) delay
> > between the first track and the new recorded one, but this is easily
> > corrected manually by shifting the second one.
> >
> > jdd
> >

> jdd,
>     Sorry I wasn't that clear. When I first worte I was wondering if
> Audacity handles VSTi's as opposed to just VST's. I don't want to record
> using Audacity. I was wondering if Audacity could serve as a simple VSTi
> host. From further reading I think it won't.
>
>     I'm currently using Pro Tools under Win XP on one machine and on
> another I use Acid Pro under Win ME to host VSTi's. Acid accepts MIDI
> input, for instance, and generates audio output using it's own Tempo
> sync. I then fly the audio back to Pro Tools to record.
>
>     Since writing the first message here I Spent some time looking at
> the Audacity-help archives. I think I won't even bother loading
> Audacity. It appear the community is not very helpful. It looks like
> fewer than 20% of the requests there get even a single response. I did
> better here getting 3 responses than anyone has there in the month of
> April! ;-)
>
>     Thanks for all the response, even Russell's! ;-)

As I said...Just here to halp!  If I can't help with Linux probs I can
provide comic relief eh? :)

>     Off to find a more simple VSTi platform for my system. Sorry, but
> I'm just not up to loading a 4th version of Wine so that I can attempt
> to do this under Linux. I currently have 3 Wine versions running. I wish
> these Wine guys would converge, or the Linux VST Server project would
> choose a release that these other major projects are using.

Don't blame you here...I went looking for ANY other possibility than
Wine and Vst server...I have about a million vst plugs and the last time
I tried to run VSTserver, my wife left, the house caught on fire, I
kicked the dog, etc, etc, etc.

R~