[linux-audio-user] Re: Getting audio noise through midi cable

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Aug 1 04:31:20 EDT 2004

Someone wrote:
> >I have my keyboard midi ports connected to my computer through the
> >game port on my motherboard sound card. It works fine, except I'm
> >hearing some noise through the audio output on my keyboard when the
> >midi cable is plugged into my computer. Whenever my computer is on
> >(whether or not the keyboard is), I hear a buzz, and it gets louder
> >whenever the hard disk is in use. Is there anything I can do to
> >correct this?

(sorry missed the original message)

Sounds like a groud loop to me, I think the solution is to change the
state of the group/shielding in the MIDI cable, but I'm not really sure,
google for "ground loop midi" you will find lots of refereneces.

Normal MIDI cables are supposed to prevent ground loops, but those ones
that plugin into D-type soundcard connectors can cause prolems, and I've
had problems with combinations of normal MIDI cables and/or XLR cables
that were wired wrongly.

- Steve