[linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?

ricktaylor at speakeasy.net ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Mon Aug 2 02:09:26 EDT 2004

 I'm writing this before I read the thread... you're getting "untainted" ideas. :}

 Snap in modules... Maybe a full screen version of Reactor that could scroll vertically or horizontally... A visual means of patching back and forth... Maybe not as literal as Moog Modular but clear and easy to read. A nice simple gui like Vokator. Possibly with screens like Jahshaka/Blender so you could page rather than scroll and still keep the screen uncluttered. {I hate clutter}.

 Synthedit compatibility... The community there's fairly large... There's much stuff already written for the environment.

 If it were extensible through something simple like lisp or ruby... Like emacs and snd... That would be cool.

 Scripting is essential.

 VST is essential. ...LADSPA.

 OSC would be nice.

 Csound compatibility through a module would be cool... So you could read .orc and score files rather than just plugging in a step sequencer {Tho' a step sequencer would be nice.}

 PD compatibility would be nice.

 A sampler module would be nice.

 A timeline like the one in http://openvip.sourceforge.net/ would rock... either to actually do video or to set up samples.

 Automation would be nice

 Compatibility with existing languages/environments like cm and OSW {which is osc compatible already} would be cool...

 PVM? That way you could stretch it across a cluster. Mosix? Maybe peer2peer midi {Freshmeat}? Eyesweb compatibility {should they ever happen to port it}?

 FM? {See Lollapalooza} Additive functions? {Cube, Cameleon}