[linux-audio-user] sound on debian 2.4.26

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Aug 2 12:02:28 EDT 2004

Last Monday 02 August 2004 15:34, Laura Conrad was like:
> I upgraded my kernel from 2.4.18 to 2.4.26, and now I can't play
> sounds.  Any time I try, the program just hangs until I ^C out of it.
> No messages appear in /var/log/messages, or on the console.
>
> I have a Debian unstable system with an SBLive soundcard.    (There's
> also a sound system on the motherboard, but that never confused it
> before.)
>
> I have in the past managed to run Alsa, but getting it installed has
> never been fun, so since I'm only doing fairly simple-minded things
> like playing MIDI and having card sounds on my solitaire game, I've
> been just running OSS.
>
> I can't see anything wrong with the permissions on the /dev files, or
> with the list of modules that's being loaded.  I just uploaded the
> latest version of that kernel-image, and the July 22 version has the
> same problem as the May 1 version.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about what to try next?

Get the 2.4.25-multimedia kernel from AGNULA

add this to your sources list:
deb http://apt.agnula.org/demudi testing main local extra
read this:
http://www.agnula.org/download/demudi/1.2.0-FAQ/
and http://wiki.agnula.org for further advice

It's by far the fastest way to get a working audio system with Debian.

cheers

tim hall