[linux-audio-user] dipping toes in 2.6 waters

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Mon Aug 2 21:23:08 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 15:15, Malcolm Baldridge wrote:
> Quoting Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>:
>
> > I've not been able to follow LKML too closely in the last few weeks, so
> > i'm out of loop with the recent developments. If some of you folks did
> > watch it, do you care to bring the rest of us up to speed WRT the latest
> > 2.6 developments that are related to "audio" kernels?
>
> I guess this boils down to how you want to spend your time.
>
> You can either use your audio tools to compose and create music... or ...
> you can spend your days compiling kernels and "fixing" problems which aren't
> broken.

Actually, i'll need 2.6 _and_ some serious low-lat capabilities for
another, non-musical, "real world" application (read: making money out
of it - not that people can't make money out of music, i'm just speaking
for myself). 2.4 won't work there.

But it wouldn't hurt to get it going on my multimedia workstation too,
so i guess it's a matter of hitting two birds with one stone, which is a
good thing... if it works. ;-)

> It's interesting to note how little time my Pro Tools friends spend on their
>  Operating System [the "primitive" MacOS 8.6] compared to actually using
> their audio tools. :)  Of course, I know this is LINUX-audio, and the Linux
> part comes before audio, so therefore it gets more attention than actually
> making noises through the speakers. ;)

I hear you.
The thought of migrating to Mac crosses my mind every now and then, but
gets chased away quickly. :-)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/