[linux-audio-user] sound on debian 2.4.26

Rick B zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Aug 2 21:29:53 EDT 2004

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>Hallo,

>>    Laura> I upgraded my kernel from 2.4.18 to 2.4.26, and now I can't
>>    Laura> play sounds.  Any time I try, the program just hangs until
>>    Laura> I ^C out of it.  No messages appear in /var/log/messages,
>>    Laura> or on the console.
>>
>>Progress, but still no sound.
>>
>>I removed the module for the motherboard soundcard (via82cxxx_audio),
>>and re-probed the emu10k1 module, and using sound no longer hangs;
>>timidity sits there for about as long as it should to play the MIDI
>>file, but I still don't hear any sound.  The mixer has the volume set
>>at 100% and my speaker is turned up to maximum.  (So it will be pretty
>>loud when I finally get it working.)
>>

>You're running the OSS drivers. You don't want to do this. Some ways
>out include:
>
>1)  You follow Tim's advice to install the AGNUlA kernel.
>
>2)  You install kernel 2.6 which includes ALSA. (It's what I do, although
>I always compile my own kernel.)
>
>3) you build your own kernel as well.
>
>4) You stay with Debian's packages and install the package "alsa-modules"
>which matches your installed kernel package. apt-get will take care
>that the right one gets installed.
>
>I would recommend to do 4) first, its the easiest way.
>"apt-cache search alsa-modules " shows the available packages, "dpkg -l
>kernel-image\* " will show what kernel package you are running.
>
>You can probably reuse your old alsa configuration with the new
>kernel.
>
>Ciao

    You could also use some of the information on the CCRMA website. I'm
sure there will be some differences since the CCRMA site deals with FC1,
but there shouldn't be any serious problems. I have mentioned the ALSA
section of the CCRMA site to people trying to get ALSA running on the
2.6 kernels and other distros, and they say it gets them close enough
that they can adjust for the differences in kernels and distros. Here's
a link to the page that I think might be helpful:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installkernelandsound.html#SECTION00023200000000000000
.

                Rick B