[linux-audio-user] dipping toes in 2.6 waters

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Tue Aug 3 09:26:56 EDT 2004

Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 15:15, Malcolm Baldridge wrote:
<SNIP>
>>It's interesting to note how little time my Pro Tools friends spend on their
>> Operating System [the "primitive" MacOS 8.6] compared to actually using
>>their audio tools. :)  Of course, I know this is LINUX-audio, and the Linux
>>part comes before audio, so therefore it gets more attention than actually
>>making noises through the speakers. ;)
>

> I hear you.
> The thought of migrating to Mac crosses my mind every now and then, but
> gets chased away quickly. :-)

Nahh...I'm writing you from my Gentoo laptop - a Compaq Presario 3GHz
machine. It runs Alsa. (Well, sort of as the sound chip driver is once
again broken, so it runs it when I go back to an older 2.6.6 kernel.)

However, and back on point, the machine is dual-boot running Win XP Pro
and Pro Tools with an 002 Rack. I use an external 1394 drive for audio.
I really spend very little time worrying about the XP OS, but far more
time worrying about viruses.

Just go dual boot and get the best of both worlds. I'm sure one day
Linux will make a bigger impact than today for many of us. It's just not
reliable enough in the audio area for me to depend on it much, but it
sure is fun. (Well, so's XP since I can play more games...)

- Mark