[linux-audio-user] Re: OT: Microphone info

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Tue Aug 3 18:03:16 EDT 2004

The RODE mics are very good.  I have a friend who has replaced a fairly
expensive AKG condenser with an NT100.  He says the NT100 is better.  I
wanted a couple of cheap condensers to start with so I bought the
Marshall MXL2003 and MXL603 pair from Musician's Friend for $155 US.  I
think MF quit selling them but American Musical Supply has the pair for
$170 US.  They turned out to be much better than I thought.  You can
hear a recording of some rockabilly that was done using the Marshall's
for drum overheads at http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/fuzzy2.html.
I also use them for vocals and acoustic guitar -
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/destiny.mp3.  If you want to spend
a bit more money, one of the engineers in a TapeOp interview said he had
just purchased a Marshall MXL V69 tube condenser and was very happy with
it.  These go for $300 at AMS.  BTW, the warm thing isn't empty.  There
have been a couple of good papers on it (by EEs).  Most of it has to do
with the property of tubes when they are overdriven.  You can do a web
search and find a lot of information.

Jan