[linux-audio-user] mastering audio for DVD-Video

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 10:39:34 EDT 2004

Hi,

I recently completed production of an eight minute
film score. The final destination is DVD-Video. I need
to know what levels the audio should be mastered to
play at. The answer seems obvious but I don't want to
make any assumptions, can't make a mistake and have
become a little bit paranoid.

My job is simply the audio so I should hand off a
16bit, 44100 digital master with no peaks above
0.0dbfs and the video production house can adjust to
suit the final destination format; broadcast, analog,
digital, whatever.

The problem is, the video production house never asked
the client what the destination is but assumed it is
analog and for broadcast. The client contacted me and
stated that they had to turn their home stereo
playback volume up all the way. And even then it
wasn't loud enough. Incidentally, the client is happy
with my  master. They stated that it sounds "great" on
their home stereo.

There is a great dynamic range between the peaks and
valleys which is exactly appropriate for this sound
track. Reguardless, my knee jerk response was to
suggest making up some of the volume by raising the
average level through remastering or remixing and
mastering. However, this is a mistake because the
existing product is fine.

My conclusion is, I need to provide the video house
with a product that they will not adjust in any way. I
don't know how this production house merges audio and
video so I can provide a test tone for them to
calibrate with. Of course I'd prefer they simply
dran-n-drop my file into an audio track but maybe it's
just not done that way.

I assume audio for DVD-Video should be mastered with
no peaks above 0.0dbfs, exactly like any other digital
audio. Correct?

Well, I decided to relay the long version of the story
because I'm certain that someone else here will
eventually share my joy. :) Until this is resolved, I
will continue; just living in a cave, cleaning the
guns for jah, watchin' clouds rollin' by and watchin'
fishes jumpin' high.

ron