[linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??

Laura Conrad lconrad at laymusic.org
Fri Aug 6 07:34:50 EDT 2004

    Russell> Can I get some basic pros and cons of the different
    Russell> distro's you're using? And especially from previous
    Russell> Mandrake users.

I switched from Mandrake to Debian in November of 2002, because I
couldn't keep urpmi working for more than about a month at a time, and
I never once managed to upgrade to a new Mandrake version.  Debian
with apt and dpkg is much solider from those points of view than
Mandrake and urpmi.

Not that there aren't sometimes problems in Debian when you upgrade
everything at once, but apt-get and dpkg still work, and you can
usually upgrade only the things you're really interested in.

The audio I use is pretty minimal, and I haven't had packaging related
problems with it, as far as I know.

The only important package I know about that works a lot better under
Mandrake than under Debian is xemacs.  I've ended up switching to
emacs because of the Debian xemacs packaging.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011