[linux-audio-user] Re: OT: Microphone info

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri Aug 6 10:42:45 EDT 2004

Alastair Couper wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:50:10 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
>
>> rec.audio.pro used to be THE place to go to discuss pro audio online...
>> now the signal/noise ratio is so bad a lot of the old regulars have
>> moved to moderated forums.  Sad.
>>
> Indeed. A few hours spent looking over mic related posts left me just
> as  disoriented as before. That is why I come to places like THIS, with
> high  levels of decorum and respect.
>
> Thanks!! to everyone for putting in their two cents worth. What I get
> from  all that I have read now is that there is no substitute for
> auditioning.  Buying something untested is a pig in the poke, at least
> in the $$$ I can  afford.

Or looking for folks who have used the same mic in similar situations.
For instance, when I bought some (for me) untested mics a couple of
years back I asked questions on the Pro Tools forums from folks running
full time studios and enthusiasts alike. I set a budget. They gave me
ideas. Eventually the ideas led to most people who owned them being
happy with the Rode mics in my price range. They could tell me what the
sound was like. I bought them and found them to be very much as
reported. I've never been unhappy with them. I have far more issues with
my preamps and lack of an insert on the Digi hardware for using an
outboard compressor.

I did some reading on some of the places pointed to in this thread. I
need a couple of spot mics for live recording of a large group I'm
recording in a few weeks. I ran across a number of good things said
about the Marshall Electronics MXLV67G

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSEMXLV67G

The price looks about right. Any experience with these? Marshall seems a
bit strange though. Just cannot find a web site, so I wonder about
support if needed.

> I see there are two main strands in music makers: those that are most
> interested in and sensitive to the sound, and those that are mainly
> hearing the content. I seem to be in the latter. I am happy listening to
> a  less than excellent recording of a great performance, but can't be
> bothered with a mediocre performance, no matter how much $$$ was thrown
> at  the gear used.

<hehe!!> It's a sad state of affairs when Britney cannot make everyone
happy! ;-)

cheers,
Mark