[linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??

Chris Pickett chris.pickett at mail.mcgill.ca
Fri Aug 6 11:47:20 EDT 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Chris Pickett wrote:
>
>>Well, here's some opinions on Gentoo for ya... .. ..... .
>>
>>http://www.funroll-loops.org/
>

> This one was hilarious! (And very true in some ways!) Actually, I'm a
> Gentoo user on my laptop, but a CCRMA user on my older soft-synth box. I
> like Gentoo alot, but not for the reasons most people give. It's not
> faster in my experience. It doesn't have someone like Fernando
> sheparding new apps and new users along. There's much confusion about
> which kernel to use. (Did you do the CCRMA kernel Chris?) I do find that
> raw code from the net builds more often on Gentoo than on Redhat, and
> it's much easier to solve a dependency problem on Gentoo, but it's not
> that Gentoo doesn't have dependeny problems. It does.

No, I'm using 2.6.7-gentoo-r5.  Maybe I'll try the CCRMA kernel at some
point, or better yet, switch to one of the available audio
distributions.  Who knows ... I'm tired of installation and upgrades and
configuration woes at this point, even if quasi-automated.

> If I'm the sinking ship at the end of this page then so be it... ;-)

Ok, so you should also see http://www.despair.com/indem.html :)

Chris