[linux-audio-user] Re: Jack and Xruns

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri Aug 6 13:22:46 EDT 2004

Alastair Couper wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 07:29:41 -0700, Mark Knecht
> <mknecht at controlnet.com> wrote:
>

>> 4) On the same track, what environment are you in. I have far fewer
>> problems with fluxbox than I had with KDE, but others are fine with
>> KDE  so who knows...
>>
> KDE seems to be fine if you turn off what you don't need. I got rid of
> the  CD scanning app, turn off all the GUI animations, turn off Knotify,
> arts,  and whatever else I can find. I also turn off all the unessential
> boot  time services, even syslog (which is only needed if you are
> debugging  something).

Yes - I think Steve Harris has reported the same thing.

I started with KDE on Redhat, like many new Linux users, and had trouble
with xruns. Someone, I'm thinking Joe Hartley possibly, pointed me
towards fluxbox and my problems were immediately far fewer. That was a
good thing for a simpleton like me.

I've been impressed that on my systems, both the 2.6GHz Athlon-XP
running the AP2496 and my 3GHz P4 laptop just using the onboard sound
chip, that Gentoo's kernels cause me no xruns at all even running as a
normal user. I do not have the capabilities stuff compiled in. It Just
Works. (tm)

I'm sure KDE is a fully capable environment when you know how to make it
run.