[linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Aug 6 15:51:52 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 12:04, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 11:48, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 10:28, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> > > Firstly, thanks much for all the replies and ideas...
> > >
> > If you have the time and bandwidth you should try several distros for a
> > while and stay with the one you like most.
>
> I do...and I will. I think I will give CCRMA a shot first....especially
> as I already have 2 of the Fedora core 1 iso's downloaded...
>
> How is CCRMA doing with the 2.6 kernel issues in general?

Well, a couple of days ago I started getting into sync again with the
latest and greatest latency patches (I was on a trip and then the move
to the new temporary trailers has been a humongous time sink). Andrew
Morton and Ingo Molnar have been busy, and Lee Revell - and others as
well - have been providing the raw data they need to fix problems.

I'm currently starting to test a new 2.6.7 kernel for FC2 (based on
rc2-mm2 and Ingo's voluntary preempt patches) and it does feel a LOT
better. Just booted into it yesterday for the first time. I can still
manage to get Jack to be unhappy with 2.6.x but there are no xruns when
testing with 128x2.

So, overall, a lot of progress has been happening!
-- Fernando