[linux-audio-user] dipping toes in 2.6 waters

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sat Aug 7 01:43:03 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 22:24, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 19:57, Florian Schmidt wrote:
>
> > I think that this is the right mooment to grab a vanilla 2.6.8-rc2 and
> > just try one of Ingos new volountary preemption patches. You might be
> > positively surprised.. If not, send a report to Ingo. Lee Revel is also
> > busy testing Ingos patches and reporting all latencies he found. But
> > more testers are needed.
>
> Hey,
>
> I would have commented earlier but was out of town all week.
>
> As Ingo's patches stabilize, it is very important for more people to
> test them.  With 2.6.8+voluntary-preempt-O3, using voluntary_preempt=3,
> kernel_preemption=1, and the soundcard and RTC irqs non-threaded, it
> works for me (tm) - I have been unable to produce a latency over 50
> usecs, even while punishing the machine with parallel builds and iozone
> -a.
>
> We need people to test with different hardware configurations and
> workloads.  Especially needed are testers with ACPI,

That would be my laptop, probably :-)

> APIC, SMP, HT
> machines.  There are still some ACPI related bugs, more testers are
> needed to nail these down.  There are some reports of lockups which I
> cannot reproduce.

I'm starting to test 2.6.7 rc2-mm2 + voluntary preempt O3 (at Planet
CCRMA). So far my limited tests have been very promising. I still have
to build a debugging version of alsa (and probably add your patches to
jack - very nice histograms!).

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute some data...

While I see a much decreased latency I still have weird problems with
jack and the combinartion of qjackctl, jack, several jack clients

Many thanks for the work you have been doing! (I've been in a trip and
then too busy but was trying to monitor email and was looking at all
those posts without having time to test anything :-)

-- Fernando