[linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Sat Aug 7 18:19:54 EDT 2004

On Saturday 07 August 2004 05:10 am, LinuxMedia wrote:
> > I was a SuSE user for 3-4 years. It's really very slick but occasionally
> > some of the programs are a little stale. (caveat: I haven't used it since
> > v8)
>
> Maybe I'm confused about this. When I think of "audio distrobs" like
> Planet, I picture wipeing out my hard drive and having just a dedicated
> recording environment. But do these run along side an established
> distrob (like debian, redhat...)? Do they coexist with them?

A) I'm not following the thread too closely
B) SuSe is not considered an "audio" distribution
C) You can make any distribution an "audio distribution" by using ALSA, a
suitable kernel and building the programs you need if you can't get packages.

> > I don't know what version qjackctl SuSE is shipping but the one I'm using
> > has patchbays for MIDI and jack ports
>
> Thanks. Yea, I checked and my version is behind. There's no (midi) patch
> bays. Nice feature. I need to upgrade, because it looks like that
> eliminates the need to start up and run another program (kaconnect).

To finish the thought: SuSE can make a good base on which to build because
if you buy the "pro" version (or the basic version if you have broadband
internet), you get binaries for just about every progam there is.
This makes evaluation of what programs you want to actually spend the time
building a lot more streamlined.

BTW the MIDI patchbay in CVS qjackctl doesn't benefit from the "patchbay
persistance" option, like the jack ports, at least not yet. It could also use
a LADCCA save button, but there are options for plugin pre/post
startup/shutdown scripts.