[linux-audio-user] dipping toes in 2.6 waters

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sun Aug 8 01:51:28 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 01:28, Rick B wrote:
>     Is there any way to do this on a 2.4 kernel? Like say,
> 2.4.26-ll.rhfc1.ccrma, or is this already covered with how Fernando
> configures the kernel?

No, as the thread name implies, you need a recent 2.6 kernel with Ingo
Molnar's voluntary preemption patches to get these new features.  I
believe CCRMA may have a 2.6.7+voluntary preempt package, but I don't
use it so I'm not sure.  Even that package would not be likely to have
the irq threading feature, this area of kernel development has moved
very fast lately.

These features are still very new and not fully tested.  I would imagine
more binary packages will become available in the next few weeks as the
voluntary preempt patches stabilize.  For now more testers are needed
but be warned it probably wont be as stable as 2.4+ll now.  2.6 is still
not recommended if you need to get serious audio work done on any kind
of timetable.  It will be ready very soon.

Once the voluntary preemption patches for 2.6 are stable then there will
really be no need to use 2.4+11 anymore, because the performance with
2.6+voluntary-preempt is much, much better.

Lee