[linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??

robin fell robin.fell at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 8 05:39:28 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 20:56, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 06:33, robin fell wrote:
> > Tried Planet, but based on RH meant endless RPM database woes for me :(
>
> Hmmm, not recently, right?
>
> There were some problems in RH8 (or was it 9?) where sometimes rpm would
> hang, but that was a while ago.

Early 2003.  I was running Gentoo but was trying to reduce my admin
workload - hence investigating RH8.

> > 1. i've not managed to break portage yet.  this is numero-uno for me
> > because i killed MDK and RH several times - requiring a reinstall [note:
> > yes i do know about rpm dB locks and dB repair tools, but they failed to
> > fix my dB]
>
> Yuck.... I guess I'm lucky. I've never gotten that far in breaking a
> system through rpm alone. Just curious, which is the last version of
> rh/fc you tried?

I finally gave up (in disgust) with RH8.0.  Having had previous problems
with RPM in RH6.0 I figured I'd already wasted enough of my time
reinstalling.  On the up-side, I can now drive cfdisk with my eyes shut.

> > I'm currently considering a change of distro too - I spend too long on
> > admin issues, and not enough time hacking/recording.
>
> Probably true of any distro if you want to use the latest versions of
> audio packages (and who doesn't!). Let us know what you find...

that's why i'm thinking seriously as to whether it's worth the effort.
a lot of the gentoo misery can be eliminated with stage-3 tarballs
(almost complete precompiled binaries), and the KDE-libs, X, etc pain
ameliorated by building overnight.

sigh - perhaps i'll just stick with what's working....