[linux-audio-user] Sequencer + Sampler

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Sun Aug 8 13:35:48 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 08:12, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> On Sunday 08 August 2004 06.45, Iván Almada wrote:
> > hi,  ive been making music for 5 yrs with the
> > computer,  ive been using virtual sequencer + sampler
> > configurations (cubase + halion) i just love making
> > music this way (i dont use synths a lot, when i use
> > them i render them to .wav and load it in a sampler) ,
> >  i bought a creative labs audigy card for using the
> > software sampler  in realtime using the asio driver
> > with my midi keyboard (yamaha DSR-500, very old but
> > with midi!) and a dual head graphics card (ati radeon
> > 7000)... ive been using it in windows with dual
> > screens and just love the way dual screen works in a
> > virtual studio...  so,  what i want to do is totally
> > dump windows and start making music in linux i totally
> > love this os , so i installed fedora core 2 with the
> > all the planet ccrma tweaks and apps... i think i have
> > a decent setup now,  alsa, jack bla bla bla ,  i also
> > have a decent computer (i guess) athlon xp 1700+ with
> > 640 mb ram (or something like that) ...
> >
> > so, i have several questions:
> >

> > 1) Which software combination do you recommend for
> > using a sequencer and a sampler? ive been using
> > rosegarden,  and i think its excellent but i havent
> > found a way to hook up a virtual sampler,  and i
> > really need one!!! (have my own custom wav sample
> > library ive been making all these years)
> > is there any dssi sampler or something like that???
> > or maybe should i mess with the muse softsynth api ?
> >
> > or it would be better to use an external soft sampler
> > like specimen???  any one knows other programs?
> >
> > or should i use a tracker and render to wav and load
> > it in rosegarden or perhaps ardour???
> >
> > or should i use soundfonts (ive never tried) and send
> > midi data to the audigy wavetable? (thats the last
> > option for me i guess... ive never really liked sf
>
> Ok, this isn't directed directly at you so please don't take it personally ;)
>
> <rant>
> It just seems to me that a lot of people direct a lot of negative energy
> towards soundfonts for all the wrong reasons.
>
> There is nothing glaringly wrong with the soundfont format, infact I think it
> is pretty good. And there are prepackaged soundfonts of very high quality.
>
> If you have found soundfonts sound bad, that's just because the soundfonts you
> tried where badly programmed or contained below par samples.

Sound fonts don't necessarily sound bad...if you load a file that is
massive...

But they are a pain to control from  sequences. velocity, CC, etc.
Otherwise I'd be using them instead of windows.  They don't seem to
behave as bad on a SBlive...and I'm no MIDI or soudfont genious! I'll
declare that right now. But for whatever reason, the fairly intense
experimentation I've done with SF on Linux in either Fluidsynth, etc,
has been erratic when playing back a sequence. Instrument mapping all
over the place instead of conforming to GM or GM2. I have about a 100 or
so sequences that I use for gigs. Before I spend that time remapping and
converting/editing, I want something I know is going to work.

If not for that, SF are my friend! :)