[linux-audio-user] Can you help me choose a laptop

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Aug 8 14:29:48 EDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 02:18:26 -0400, Jon B wrote:
> >Friends who have X series thinkpads seem happy with them, I dont know what
> >the 3d is like offhand. I've used a number of laptops, and I would say
> >that IBMs are the best constructed by a long way. Even the expensive dells
> >are flimsy. Some Sonys are OK, but I dont know which ones.
>
> Hmm...  The X uses centrino and I am reading nothing but bad things
> about centrino and linux...

Good luck finding a laptop that doesnt suck and isn't a centrino*. There
are some desktop machines in laptop form, but they have bad battery life
and run far too hot.

FWIW, I havent had any problems with the centrino bits of my machine. YMMV.
The graphics stuff is more of a problem, as it more or less needs the
propietary ATI drivers, which are not good. The propietary nVidia ones are
better IME.

* there are some minority, very low power chipsets, but performance tends
to not be that good.

- Steve