[linux-audio-user] Can you help me choose a laptop?

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Mon Aug 9 10:38:07 EDT 2004

Jon B wrote:
> I am going to buy a new laptop, and I would like suggestions,
> recommendations, and anti-recommendations.   I did check the archives
> first, and I found similar posts, but they're from 2002.
>
> I want one that is very linux compatible, and want to use it for audio
> (and video and openGL 3D acceleration as well?)  I have no idea what
> laptops are capable of these days.  Probably everything, for the right
> price.  I am probably thinking in the range of $1200.
>
> Eventually I'll get external inputs and outputs for (multitrack?)
> audio (and video?).  USB or firewire or whatever is good now.  I could
> use recommendations on those, too.  :-)
>
> I want to run an XP/linux dual boot, probably debian.
>
> Acoustically quiet would be nice, too.
>
> I currently have a Thinkpad 600E.  I like that I can buy replacement
> parts on eBay and repair it myself when it breaks.  I *don't* like
> that it has broken so many times.  But I have always been able to fix
> it myself.  My friend's Dell was not too difficult to repair, either.
>
> I've tried Libranet ("Debian based") and I like what I've experienced
> so far, though everything is dreadfully slow on my 600E.  I don't mind
> trackpoints at all, but I've never used a touchpad long enough to like
> it, so I might just not know what I'm missing.
>
> I know there are a lot out there.  I am wondering what experience you
> have with specific brands and models.  I know about
> linux-on-laptops.com, but I am focusing on audio, so thought this
> would be a good place to ask.  What laptops do you own and how do they
> fit the above qualifications?

John,
    Hi. Good luck with your searches. I have little laptop experience,
but I bought a Compaq R3070US back in 02/2004 and have been happy so
far. It came with Win XP Pro. Using SC7 is resized the 80GB hard drive
to make room for Gentoo which I run on it every day. It's a 3GHz P4, not
Centrino. It runs a little bit hot, but it is fairly quiet. Certianly
it's far more quiet than my other three desktop machines,

    The only issues I've had with it is the Alsa developers seem to
break the on-board sound chip driver on a semi-regular basis and I
haven't gotten the Broadcom wireless NIC to connect to my network at
home. Other than that it's been a great little laptop so far.

    I have no experience with the cardbus controller so dont purchase
one of these until you get more data.

    I run Pro Tools on this machine under XP Pro over 1394 to the 002
Rack. I tie in my little it of external Linux stuff coming from the
desktop boxes to the 002R over spdif and ADAT.

Cheers,
Mark