[linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas? *BIG FANFARE*

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Mon Aug 9 14:43:28 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 10:52, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 06:48, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> >
> > >{sharpening up the knife with which I intend to plunge into my heart} :)
> > >
> > >So I built the version of Wine from Kjetil's site that you are using.
> > >All went pretty smooth. Wine works...at least with the usual
> > >Minesweeper, etc.
> > >I then rebuilt fst and Jack_fst against the new install of Wine. Moved
> > >my HyperCanvas Dll into the new Wine directory which is now
> > >/usr/local/lib/wine. Fired up Jack with high hopes and {make fast
> > >deflating balloon noise here}  Fubar!  Same thing...
> > >
> > >$oz at fx jack_fst /usr/local/lib/wine/HyperCanvas.dll
> > >Can't load plugin HyperCanvas
> > >
> > >All the builds were clean with minimal probs...had to set
> > >PKG_CONFIG_PATH for jack_fst to configure...
> > >
> > >Anymore suggestions before I book my room with the rubber wallpaper at
> > >the silly farm?  :)
> > >
> > No fear, we're not done yet. ;)
> >
> > What does 'ls -l /usr/local/lib/wine/HyperCanvas.dll' report ?
>
> [oz at fx oz]$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/wine/HyperCanvas.dll
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 root root 6103117 Jul 15  2002
> /usr/local/lib/wine/HyperCanvas.dll*
> [oz at fx oz]$
>

> > Please download the Crystal synth from http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/
> > and try running it same as you've tried for HC.
>
> I downloaded as suggested. A breath of Optimism here...Crytal won't run
> as user, but it runs as root!
> I ABOUT FELL OF MY CHAIR DAVE!  :))
>
> So, I ran Hyper Canvas as root...getting ready to fall off my chair
> again...and it reported back something I've seen from it when running
> the other wine version...
>
> [root at fx oz]# jack_fst /usr/local/lib/wine/HyperCanvas.dll
> Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
> Could not stat /cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:
> wine: Unhandled exception (thread 0009), starting debugger...
> >
> err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --debugmsg -all
> 8 100") (2)
> Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another
> debugger
> err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000029 flags 1
> addr 0x40799800
> thread exiting
> thread exiting
> thread exiting
>
> Now, it the point where I show the "greater than" sign, it pops up a
> graphical registry error box;
>
> "Edirol Hyper Canvas
> Can not open registry.
> {1E711428-637C-4f9a-8844-208E35ED7713}
> 		OK"
>
> As I say, I have seen this box before...and I think with the same
> numbers in it. So, I think, Jack_fst is talking to HyperCanvas but there
> is something in the HyperCanvas dll that is not well. I think I'm
> running version 1.01 but I'm not sure...

*FANFARE*  Dave...oh Dave...I have news.... :)

So I figured I'd try to run the actual HyperCanvas installer because it
looked like Wine needed a registry entry for the .dll. I tried regsvr32
prior to and it did not work....So I ran the whole installer...it
actually ran all the way thru without a glitch. (still as root)

It got done and i thought "what the hell, we'll try it again" So as
root, I ran jack_fst /usr/local/lib/wine/Hypercanvas.dll {I changed the
case on "c" for ease of entry}..

And ...Violah!  The bugger popped up on the screen!!! Has Jack audio
ports and midi port in "connect" window of qjackctl and all!

Is it not amazing how a geek can get so jubilant over a piece of bloody
software!! ;)

I have not had a chance to try running it yet but later tonight I will
"road test" it...

Not sure if I'm all the way there yet but this is a landmark improvement
obviously. Would still like to see if I can run it as user under 2.6.7
with lsm, etc.

Hey...thanks a bloody great bunch for your help thus far Dave! YOur a
trooper!!! And I appreciate your persistence greatly! THis is a first
for me on anything VST~

Cheers,
R~