[linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user] [ANN], jamin-0.9.0 release

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 10 20:57:47 EDT 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
 >davidrclark at earthlink.net wrote:
 >
 >> Perhaps something more basic should be said about JAMin versus DX/VST
 >> plugins and that is that JAMin is NOT A PLUGIN.  Yes, it can be used
 >> in that manner, but that isn't what it is designed for.

I love using JAMin on drum sub mixes myself. One of the things I really
like about jack is that you can use entire other applications as inserts
very flexibly in Ardour, like using pd as an insert and having it return
both to the same channel and other busses as well. Or even back into
channels on another instance of Ardour for total confusion. :)

 >Dave,
 >    It's possible that part of the picture is that in the Windows/Mac
 >Pro Tools area the Waves tools (and others that I don't use) that
 >provide much the same function as Jamin ARE plugins. (See Waves Masters
 >suite of tools.) Some people use this strategy, and others use tools
 >like Sound Forge as a post processor, like Jamin is today.
 >
 >    Both models are pretty common really.
 >
 >    Supporting your point, though, I don't know of a single tool that
 >operates in both modes. Sound Forge isn't a plugin and something like
 >the very new Waves L3 UltraMAximizer/MultiMaximizer doesn't run in
 >stand-alone mode.

I think T-Racks works in both ways. It was stand-alone first, then it
had a VST plugin version.

 >    (Wanna see a CPU hungry plugin then give the L3 a try!)  ;-)

I've not used that yet. One thing that looks cool is the 'seperation'
control, where you can adjust the amount of interaction between the
compressors in the bands. Looks handy.