[linux-audio-user] Re: [ANN] jamin-0.9.0 release

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Aug 10 08:44:24 EDT 2004

Last Tuesday 10 August 2004 00:32, Alastair Couper was like:
> While we're on the subject, could anyone point to a tutorial or something
> similar that covers mastering? Big subject, I know, but I am wanting to
> know more about it. Does anyone have some Jamin presets that they could
> share ?
>
> Seems like there is a big concern in some genre that one's recording
> sounds "as loud as" anyone else's. Leads to a bit heavy handed
> compression, I think. Beyond allowances for various redistribution EQ
> types, what is being achieved ?

Joern Nettingsmeier and Steve Harris gave this excellent talk at ZKM earlier
this year:

http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/contrib/zkm_meeting_2004/slides/saturday/steve_harris+joern_nettingsmeier-audio_engineering.html

This link is too long, sorry.
The general advice from this list has been - don't boost anything unless you
really have to and go easy with those compressors! The other advice I have to
give is play with JAMin for a few days, don't print anything, just listen to
what your ears tell you whilst switching between patches and bypass. It's
definitely one of those 'less is more' situations.

cheers

tim hall