[linux-audio-user] Jack_fst success @ LONG LAST.....

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Tue Aug 10 23:24:11 EDT 2004

So I gotta share my jubilation here...

After much months of beating my head against the wall with vst server,
vsti and recently, jack_fst.....and with MUCH thanks to Dave Phillips
and his persistence in steering me the right direction, I finally have
Jack_fst up and seemingly stable!!

I have been running another version of Edirol Hyper Canvas (1.01 vsti)
with jack_fst and it has been quite reliable and not too many Xruns. I'm
running Thac's latest kernel 2.6.7-sds-35.

I last wrote that I had this error;

{snippit}

"The program 'jack_fst' received an X Window System error.
>This probably reflects a bug in the program.
>The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
>  (Details: serial 16653680 error_code 1 request_code 0 minor_code 0)
>  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
>function.)
>[oz at fx oz]$ "

{un-snippet}

Well, I still don't know what that was but the "Details: serial 16653680
blah, blah" has me curious. This was another copy I had (ver 1.02) and,
well....eh hem...I "found" it laying around on the internet...

So I loaded up a previous version and have been testing it for
awhile...still running Sonar on my laptop but midi out to my MDK
box...midi in thru Delta 1010LT and connected in qjackctl. Works great!
All the sounds are there...it picks up all system midi messages and
plays just like it oughta~ :)  <-------Me big time smiley face now!! I
now have a good GM2 synth module running on my linux machine. Still
cheating..I know...but, this gets me one step closer to leaving the
Winblows box at home altogether!

Now...if I can just get Muse or Rosegarden to behave...