[linux-audio-user] what window manager are you using?

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Wed Aug 11 09:38:46 EDT 2004

>>Last Tuesday 10 August 2004 22:30, Andrew Dahlin was like:
>>
>>>Now for the question: which window manager are you using for audio work and
>>>why? I don't mean for this to start a flame war... notice it wasn't titled
>>>"what's the best window manager?" ;) I just want to take an informal survey
>>>of what everyone is using and see why people use what they do.

fluxbox for me. (0.9.9 Erik - I have some problems too, but only since
moving to xorg-x11...)

I must say that after a couple of years with fluxbox I've been very
happy with how well it works. It's always been stable for me, and it
loads so few things that top is relatively clean.

That said, I seem to be developing a frustration with Linux window
managers and menu management. It seems that for fluxbox I have to manage
my menu using vi. It seems for Mozilla I have to manage my bookmarks
with their editor. I recently started doing some more work in Windows
(since I cannot get wireless working under Linux yet) and had been doing
a bunch of browsing and bookmarking. It's so nice in IE being able to
rearrange my bookmarks by just dragging them around. Same for the start
menu. Just drag apps to the area you want them in the menu.

Do any of the light weight Linux window managers support this?

Thanks,
Mark