[linux-audio-user] Re: low tatency

Ben ben at glw.com
Thu Aug 12 10:01:13 EDT 2004

There was an article a few months back in Linux Journal that described
how to "lock" a thread onto a processor (and disallow any other threads
form running on that processor).  If you were to lock the JACK process
into a single processor on an SMP box, wouldn't you effectively get
very low latency without any kernel patching or anything?  You'd have
to use lock-free-fifo's to talk to the other processor (which is
running the UI, etc) of course.  And you'd use a polling model to read/
write data to the soundcard.

Does ALSA have it's own thread in addition to the JACK thread, and
would it have to be on the same processor?

I'm not a Linux/Intel architecture guru, so forgive me if I've missed
some obvious points.

-Ben