[linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Thu Aug 12 15:34:46 EDT 2004

John Check wrote:
> One act gigging with this stuff is worth a dozen coders when it comes to
> legitimizing the platform. There's so much potential with what's here today
> that it blows my mind, but if it's "by geeks, for geeks" it really limits were

   not that long ago it wasn't even that. The sound/audio/music software
in linux is improving rapidly. obviously, you get the by geeks for geeks
stuff first because it cannot be any other way - it takes time to make
the program stable enough to be usable by general public.

   plus it's not only about individual apps, everything from kernel to
hw drivers to libraries to apps is being developed, it takes a lot of
effort and time to make it work together. And it's not always pretty:-)

   I guess you know that but your email lacks the acknowledgement of the
tendency (even though it accurately describes current state), so I
thought I'd add some perspective.

	erik