[linux-audio-user] home audio server

Edward Barrow edward at copyweb.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 17:33:48 EDT 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 19:35, Dylan wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> This may be somewhat off topic, but I figure some of you may well know
> the answer...
>
> I'm trying to set up an audio server to connect to my home stereo, and
> have been looking for an app with the following features: web based
> interface for playlisting, and playback through local sound card.
>
> I've found plenty of options which provide streaming, but none which
> play through the server's own sound system.
>
> Any pointers would be welcome
>
> Dylan

I have the same aim as a personal project - I just built the box, now I'm
getting it to work. I think the best bet is gjukebox
(gjukebox.sourceforge.net) which does just this but I haven't been able to
get it it to handle ogg files properly yet and somehow I just broke it for
mp3s as well. Another possibility is netjuke, which is setup for streaming
but should be able to do local playback (though it's not obvious what has to
be done to make this work).  Netjuke 2 is out real soon now.
There's also oggcarton, which I haven't got to work fully either...

Actually I have issues with all of these so I'm writing my own - project
code-named DoMuSe, registered 2 days ago in planning stage on Sourceforge,
which will use apache/tomcat/jsps for the web playlisting interface,
postgresql for the metadatabase and ecasound/jack for playback and recording,
with synaesthesia handling visualisations. I'd be interested to hear anything
you might have to say about the human interface aspects of these jukebox
designs....
--
Edward Barrow