[linux-audio-user] soundfonts and samplers

Pete Bessman ninjadroid at gazuga.net
Thu Aug 12 20:01:50 EDT 2004

At Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:30:38 -0500 (CDT),
Iván Almada wrote:

> on the other hand ive realized specimen is a great sampler:
> everything i need (preview .wav, map different regions, loop point
> editor, filter, though more different filters would be very very
> nice...) and i didnt know you could use it directly from rosegardan
> through alsa midi , that excelent, just as if specimen was a plug
> in, i can trigger samples from my midi keyboard with an
> inperceptible latency,

I was holding my breath while reading this paragraph.  I'm very glad
the program has worked for you so far, please send me any bugs you
encounter, or any feedback in general.  More filters are definitely on
the way, but a more useful en route feature is giving each patch
a pair of jack outputs (more on this below).

I'm pleased that Specimen currently has everything you need, but I
hope to present it in a vastly more useable and attractive manner with
the new GUI currently being developed.  While the current GUI may be
technically complete (for very small values of "complete"), it isn't
quite a joy to work with.

> now i would like to know several more things, like how to apply
> ladpsa plugins to the sampler for example if i want to use some of
> the ladpsa filters... how is the audio routed from specimen back
> into the midi host mixer (it displays audio in a channel called
> rec... ) but it has no slots for plug ins...

As has been stated elsewhere in this thread, you can apply effects to
Specimen via jack-rack.  However, since it only has one pair of output
ports, using effects is a sub-optimal experience (to put it nicely).
When each patch has it's own port, the situation will be much better.

--
Pete

www.gazuga.net

"I saw the movie 'I, Robot' recently, a film based loosely on a book
written by science fiction author Isaac Asimov. In case you're not
familiar with Asimov's writing, here's a list of things the movie had
in common with the book:

* The title."

[maddox.xmission.com]