[linux-audio-user] External sound card for laptop.

Arnault Teissier roswel at assonetworx.com
Fri Aug 13 09:06:35 EDT 2004

On jeu, 2004-08-12 at 22:51 -0700, Thomas Hauth wrote:
> Hi Arnault !
> Be careful with external sound cards! A friend of mine buyed the
> creative labs sound blaster extigy
>
> http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=207&product=585
>
> for his laptop and he has got serious latency problems ( >200ms) on
> windows using Cubase. This external "card" uses USB which seems to be a
> bit too slow for this kind of application.
I heard some other bad latency experience with usb hardware. But mybe
that there are some better card that sb extigy. I just look for people
who could advise me ;)

And what about PCMCIA sound card? i heard that there is a RME one, but i
think it's very expensive? And what about it's support with ALSA?

> Maybe there is firewire Hardware out there ? ?
There is some firewire hardward. For example :
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?
do=products.focus&ID=77b8b59a677defc67c40d33428b4014a

But i think that this one doesn't work under Linux .It's my problem....
Is anybody had an experience with this kind of firewire hardware?

Regards

--
Arnault Teissier <roswel at assonetworx.com>
Association Networx