[linux-audio-user] External sound card for laptop.

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Aug 13 04:27:46 EDT 2004

Hallo,
Arnault Teissier hat gesagt: // Arnault Teissier wrote:

> On jeu, 2004-08-12 at 22:51 -0700, Thomas Hauth wrote:
> > for his laptop and he has got serious latency problems ( >200ms) on
> > windows using Cubase. This external "card" uses USB which seems to be a
> > bit too slow for this kind of application.

This is not so generally. I get quite okay latencies with my cheap USB
card (jack -p 128 or -p 256 works fine)

> I heard some other bad latency experience with usb hardware. But mybe
> that there are some better card that sb extigy. I just look for people
> who could advise me ;)
>
> And what about PCMCIA sound card? i heard that there is a RME one, but i
> think it's very expensive? And what about it's support with ALSA?

RME is very expensive. For supported USB cards look at
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/ Generally spoken: stay clear of
M-Audio USB ware like the Quattro, try to use a slighty older device,
so it has already been tested by some people.

I use a USB card with Pd on my laptop and I'm quite happy with it.

Ciao