[linux-audio-user] External sound card for laptop.

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Aug 13 16:31:34 EDT 2004

Hallo,
Arnault Teissier hat gesagt: // Arnault Teissier wrote:

> On ven, 2004-08-13 at 10:27 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > I use a USB card with Pd on my laptop and I'm quite happy with it.
>
> Which one is it exactly? What latency do you have with your MIDI input
> and output? because i would not have some bad experience, so if you tell
> me, yours is working fine, i will look for the same. I heard so much bad
> story about USB sound card with linux...

It's not that bad. I tested about 20 cards for a magazine, most of
them worked plug and play. All M-Audio USB boxes I tested, didn't work
well or at all, that's why I don't recommend M-Audio USB (I still own
a Quattro which I need to sell.) I also didn't like the Soundblaster
cards. But most others were werking just fine, including most Edirol
devices, the Tascams, the two Terratec cards (I now use a Terratec
Aureon USB and a Evolution UC-33 midi interface) and lots of others.

I didn't run real latency tests except lower the Jack period size
until it crackles. I could go as low as 128-256 with most cards. This
is audio latency. I didn't test Midi latency but USB is way fast
enough for Midi.

USB is no way horrible for audio. It's far from perfect, true, but
generally it just works and it's the only choice in its price range
unless you go RME. Did you look for PCMCIA cards once? There aren't
that many (I know only RME and VX-Pocket.)

Ciao