[linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Sun Aug 15 00:58:55 EDT 2004

On Saturday 14 August 2004 04:38 am, robin fell wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 02:42, John Check wrote:
> > My point is people shouldn't be sidetracked unnecessarily because of poor
> > process and lack of communication.
>
> Sadly not all developers have the project management skills to build a
> product from the code.

Well, it's a different set of skills. I for one, don't have the temperment for
programming, but I have a few things to bring to the table WRT legitimizing
linux audio. It takes all kinds, that's why I don't care when people say
things like "code talks & bullshit walks" (at least not the first 2 times).
It's pithy and not untrue, but there's more to productivity than code.

Anecdote: I just came from a party/jam session with 5 guitar players.
My main performance axe for ensembles is bass. I brought a guitar too, but it
was like bringing coal to Newcastle.

> I've observed strong management behaviours on the projects that IMO have
> been successful (and I can think of 4 such projects right off the
> cuff).  This organisation encourages me to remain involved, whereas the
> lack of it has led me to drop a few tools.

I cut my developer teeth on FlightGear, which is a truly incredible example of
open source development at work. It's a bit esoteric but their talent pool is
astounding.

> > Oh, hey I remember you! You're one of the few people who get the
> > distributed processing thing.
>
> What's not to grok?  Turn that old PII300 into a reverb :)

Yah, eventually I'd like to see a VST plugin counterpart. Oh hey, that dual
opteron box with the RJ45, line cord and remote GUI that replaces $15k worth
of 'lectro spaghetti... Can you say cha-ching?
Once we have a foot in the door it's time to sell the R*l*nd and Y*m*h* stock.

For now, I need to focus on improving the documentation situation, but things
are shaping up real nice from where I sit.