[linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Aug 15 06:51:50 EDT 2004

Last Saturday 14 August 2004 22:54, Pete Bessman was like:
> > Done this and made a start on docs http://wiki.agnula.org

> > Dave Phillips has already made a damn good start on this one too.
> > http://www.agnula.org/documentation/dp_tutorials/ I'm trying to
> > figure out where the gaps are. No sense in duplicating effort.  The
> > fact that you're on-list now saying YES! to documentation help makes
> > me think that Specimen deserves some attention.
>
> Yeah, I didn't know this info was even out there.  If these pieces
> were synthesized into a cohesive whole and their existence advertised
> in a public place that would make great inroads into acceptance.
> Heck, the "synthesis" could just be one page with links to the
> relevant docs in the recommended order of reading.
>
> Another thing to consider is whether we can obviate the need for the
> general installation and configuration docs.  There is no technical
> reason, IMHO, why we can't have a pro-audio oriented distro that
> requires the same low level of involvement as Knoppix.  This isn't
> about pandering to drooling morons, but simply respecting other
> people's time.  If a given task is so programmatic that we can write a
> HOWTO for it in recipe format, I think that's an indication that the
> computer should be doing this for the user automatically.

Absolutely,

This is the intention of the AGNULA project. Many of the points in my
DeMuDi-config-HOWTO are only there for if the autoconfig doesn't work out.
I'm looking forward to the entire piece becoming obsoleted.

Thanks for your reactions. More grist to the mill. :-)

tim hall