[linux-audio-user] realtime modules problem, 2.6.6

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Sun Aug 15 14:19:46 EDT 2004

dee <deetee at diversity-radio.net> writes:

> i am trying to compile a kernel because the relevant params are not
> set in the 2.6.6 kernel .deb to be able to use realtime (security as
> module, selinux etc) (ditto some of my hardware).

I see.  That LSM package must depend on a different kernel image.
Otherwise, it should "just work" (TM).

> meaning, after having got my kernel compiled,
> install it with dpkg -i kernel.deb
> and then apt-get install realtime-module-2.6.6
> no, because it is not compiled in the packages list for 2.6.6 (i have been
> wondering if behind that fact is The Answer)

Maybe so.

> or did you mean something else? (sense i'm missing something here... how
> would i go about installintalling realtime-source apart from the way i
> have indicated?)

Although I use and like Debian, I don't really understand the details
of their packaging system.  Guenter Geiger created the realtime-lsm
package, and can probably answer all your questions.  But, I think he
may be on vacation right now.

I maintain the CVS version of realtime-lsm, which I build from vanilla
kernel.org sources.  Because I only have one machine available for
this task, and I need to maintain a pure tool-chain and build
environment for the kernel.org build, so I don't use the Debian
packages and don't really understand how they work.

If you want to roll your own kernel and build the LSM using that, I
can tell you exactly what to do.  That works with Debian, but does not
integrate neatly into their packaging system the way building from
Debian sources would.  It's not bad, though.  The Debian developers
make sure the two methods can coexist peacefully.

My guess is that realtime-lsm has some build or install dependency on
a different kernel from the one you're using.  It may be worth your
while to install that, just to see if you can get everything working
that way before you go back to struggling with 2.6.6.

>From which package repository are you getting it, DeMuDi?  For some
reason I don't see any of this stuff in the standard Debian
`sources.list' repository for woody, sarge or sid right now (maybe
just something strange with my system.)
--
  joq