Status Update: Moving the Linux Sound HOWTO to WikiLearn: (was Re: [linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation)

Ruth A. Kramer rhkramer at fast.net
Sun Aug 15 10:45:49 EDT 2004

Intentionally top posting (for whatever reason):

I wanted to provide a status update:

   * I'm still reading / re-reading the the Linux Sound HOWTO itself and
trying to decide how to (possibly) organize it on a wiki.  I'm currently
hung up (in passing) on how to deal with the FAQs in section 6.  They
seem quite random in organization, should they be categorized somehow?
How?  Or just each on an individual page with added  keywords to help
let Google index them "rationally"?  (The second is the way I'd lean --
much of the stuff on (or not yet on) WikiLearn is not intended to be
read in any sequential fashion but instead found via a Google search and
read "on demand".)

   * I also got hung up on the fact that the document is licensed under
the GFDL and certain requirements must be met to modify the document
(starting with using a different title -- "Use in the Title Page (and on
the covers, if any) a title distinct from that of the Document" -- thus
my tentative new title, "The Wikified Linux Sound HOWTO".).

My (very) preliminary (and incomplete, and in at least one case
erroneous -- the document has the official license notice in section 1.4
and not what I originally considered the title page, so my consideration
of what constitutes the title page probably needs adjustment) musings
(and perhaps overzealous attempts to comply) can be viewed at
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/WikifyingGFDLDocuments.

Those musings lead me to the following tentative conclusions:

   * In some ways it would be easier to deal with original text than
something licensed under anything like the GFDL

   * Before putting the document on WikiLearn (except perhaps small
sections as experiments) I will contact Jeff Tranter and perhaps the FSF
for their input / suggestions.

   * I don't really expect members of this mailing list to be intimately
interested in how to comply with the GFDL.  On the other hand, if
someone does want to publish a GFDL'd document on something like a wiki,
my musings may provide food for thought.

   * As may be obvious, I have not definitely decided to put this HOWTO
on WikiLearn (nor not to).  I'll be interested in feedback from others
and probably just give it a rest for a little (or long) while.

Randy Kramer