[linux-audio-user] Setting up linux computer

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Sun Aug 22 14:04:57 EDT 2004

Thomas Pickett wrote:
> Hello,
>         I'm setting a computer up for music and have a couple questions.
>
> I am currently installing gentoo onto my computer and I am having
> difficulty because I don't have much time to install.  Should I just
> stick with gentoo and get the install done eventually or can you suggest
> a better linux dist. that is better?

I run both Gentoo and PlanetCCRMA. If you like the suite of packages
that the Planet supplies I'd just suggest you use that. Gentoo is great,
but not all of the audio stuff is in their kernels so you're likely to
be doing a bit more patching on top of all the time you spend building.
With Gentoo you learn alot, but you are constently spending time
building code. Not really a 'fun' distro, but it is a good distro.

> I am looking at buying a firewire device instead of a pci card for my
> soundcard.  How well does linux support firewire devices?  I'm looking
> at buying the MOTU 828mkII if that helps at all.

No support for 1394 at all. As one of the authors of 1394a it's a huge
disappointment to me, but so far no real interest from developers, or
not enough to get them to spend their money.

Stick with PCI or Cardbus, or possibly USB.

good luck,
Mark